Parks family experienced South Hill in ’30s

South Hill Historical SocietyFebruary 12, 2014 

The Parks family first came to South Hill in 1930. They were from the San Diego area and moved in search of work.

After they lived in Gig Harbor, they relocated to South Hill into a small house on the back of a relative’s 20-acre farm.

During the next decade, their own log cabin was gradually built. That house is still occupied and is located near the present-day intersection of 94th Avenue and 128th Street.

During a recent meeting of the South Hill Historical Society, two members of that family, Joan Parks Vosler and her sister, Carol Parks Smith, both in their 80s, described for the group what South Hill was like during their youth.

The sisters remember the 1930s and ’40s as being a very rural and open-range kind of place. There were lots of dairy farms, and cattle roamed the countryside with few fences.

Most of the dairy operations did not have milk processing plants. Rather, cows were milked each morning, and the milk was put into cans (5- 8- and 10-gallon capacity), and placed alongside the road. A milk hauler then picked up the containers from a number of farmers and took them to a milk-handling plant. The cans were returned later in the day.

Living on South Hill before World War II required self-sufficiency. Jobs were hard to come by as it was the Depression era. The sisters recalled all families had a garden and an orchard. Fruits such as apples, pears, peaches and cherries were grown. Quince, blueberry and loganberry bushes also were common.

Each household kept animals such as cows, chickens, pigs, goats and rabbits. They were not pets but served as a source of food.

Vosler remembered that a cow once stepped on her foot, and she had a difficult time getting free.

During that period, wild animals were a problem, especially bears and coyotes. Bears were particularly dangerous because they would regularly attack young domestic animals.

The sisters specifically remembered bears killing young pigs. They recalled that a bear once came into a neighbor’s orchard, apparently in search of food, but was chased away and followed to the nearby Pipe Line Road, where it was killed.

Coyotes could always be heard howling at night. Other common sights were large birds — quail, grouse and pheasants.

There were no utilities in those early days — indoor water, electricity or indoor toilet systems. The sisters described doing their clothes washing in a galvanized tub and hanging the items on a clothesline to dry.

In cooler weather, the clothes would freeze, and they snapped off the frost.

Three flat irons were used — rotated and reheated as the job was completed.

The sisters like South Hill as it is today, but they also fondly remember growing up in a place that was much different.

The Puyallup Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service