The Sumner Downtown Association held its second annual First Citizen’s awards banquet on Jan. 23 at The Attic in downtown Sumner.
SDA Program Manager Laurie Miller said the evening acknowledges, honors and celebrates citizens and business owners who have contributed volunteer time and efforts.
Recipients this year were:
• Future First Citizen: Molly Rayl
• Adult First Citizens: David and Nicole Barnes of Sorci’s Italian Cafe
• Senior First Citizen: Pat Carel
• Best Small Business: Bonney Lake Bicycle Shop of Sumner/Main Street
• Dairy Freeze, owner Paul Qualey
• Best Big Business: The Old Cannery Furniture Warehouse
• Police First Responder: Sgt. Gary Backus
• Fire First Responder: East Pierce Fire and Rescue volunteer chaplains
• Best Organization: Sumner High School Student Leadership
• First Citizen: Terry and Karen Flippin of Artistic Solutions
• Tim Hyland Volunteer Excellence Award: Barbara Riske